A brief, 3 minute video showing some success we’ve had with our intervention in managing dieback in Early Pride. Go to the post to see the full-size video.
We encountered a significant amount of dieback in a new Early Pride planting we set out about a year ago. We noticed several factors contributing to the decline and worked out the following plan that seems to have helped contain the disease:
- Plant larger rather than smaller trees
- Look for wooded bark in the trunk
- Avoid tying ties too tight to minimize girdling
- Treatment with ProPhyte and Dyne-Amic (or similar material)
- Prune dead and dying wood, preferably sterilizing between trees